December 31, 2004

Less Than PC

Many people who know me know that I'm...well...less than politically correct. I say what I mean, people's feelings be damned. It's cost me some opportunities in life, but I'd rather be real and be in a lower station than a fake in a higher station.

Anyway, I read a lot of online comic strips, about 130 to be exact. I was reading Chopping Block by Lee Adam Herold this morning (warning: comic not for children or impressionable adults), and caught his rant at the bottom of the comic. It rang true, so I thought I'd share it with you.

Can I just say that political correctness makes me want to vomit my guts right out into my lap?

As such, I'd like to say, "Merry Christmas", even though I'm a couple days late in posting it here. Not "Happy Holidays", not "Season's Greetings", not "Lovely Bright Wintertide". MERRY CHRISTMAS. What's that? You're not Christian? You don't celebrate Christmas? Well that just simply isn't the point. I am Christian, I do celebrate Christmas, and by wishing "Merry Christmas" to you, I'm not proselytizing, I'm not trying to force my beliefs on you, I'm not trying to belittle you or offend you or make you feel left out. I'm extending well wishes and a greeting based on my own beliefs to you, because--- brace yourself now---I actually CARE that you're doing well.

For the majority of the world, peoples' beliefs make up the very core of their beings. Faith, moral code, belief system, whatever you want to call it, it guides us and defines how we behave and, essentially, WHO WE ARE. By each sharing a little bit of that fundamental part of ourselves with another through a simple greeting or blessing or belief-based quotation, we honor that person. We're saying, "This is important to me, and through it, I want to wish you well."

But if the ACLU tells you that I'm trying to force my beliefs down your throat and you should be offended to a ghastly degree, then by all means take offense. Let's not share anything with each other, but instead keep our mouths shut and pretend that everyone is exactly the same, so that no one ever feels uncomfortable. Don't be yourself. Don't talk about what you believe. Don't wish anyone well and don't make any sudden movements.

And don't sneeze, because if you do I'm going to say, "God bless you." I'm insensitive to diversity.


I'm not Christian, but I believe everything he says here to be true. So in the spirit of the Holidays, I wish everyone the best. I also wish everyone would read the Chopping Block archives, even though the subject matter might offend a few people.

No comments: