[Update 6/30/2015 7:09pm] Updated v4 version here for use with Steam and GOG 1.3.x and above.
I've released RomTerraria 3 as a preview release. This release should ONLY be used by people who want to play at resolutions greater than 2048 in either direction (up to 8192).
Features in this release:
- RomTerraria generates a new executable in your <My Documents>/My Games/Terraria named Terraria.Rewritten.exe. This executable is custom created based on the settings you select.
- RomTerraria's settings file is saved to <My Documents>/My Games/Terraria/config.rt so it won't impact your settings from stock Terraria.
- Force XNA into HiDef profile instead of Reach so that it will take advantage of Shader Model 3.0 spritebatches.
- Eliminates the depth buffer on render targets, reducing video card memory usage by half.
- Enhanced lighting (and its accompanying performance increases) will work at resolutions over 1920x1080 (up to 8192x8192). I found a workaround for XNA's RenderTarget2D size limitations.
- If your system doesn't meet the HiDef profile, you'll fail miserably.
- May not work on the Collector's Edition.
[Update 1/19/2015 9:10p] Starting to add back in single player functions, like "Always Daylight" and "Spawn NPCs Fast."
v0.99.1 (deprecated) download here.
Unzip this to someplace OTHER than your Terraria install folder.
Note: If you encounter any crashes, hit Ctrl-C in the dialog that pops up with the stack trace, and paste the stack trace into a reply to this post.
Note #2: I can't accept donations or any sort of financial compensation for RomTerraria. If you want to show some support for RomTerraria, please donate to support survivors of Typhoon Haiyan.
Note #3: If you are getting an error that says "Unable to find Terraria," make sure Steam is running. If it still can't find Terraria, uninstall and reinstall the game. I rely on metadata that Steam provides to find Terraria in alternate install locations. If it still can't find the game, add me as a friend on Steam and I'll see what I can find.
[Update 11/12 7:35p] v0.96 released. No bug fixes, but pops up a prompt if you drop RomTerraria 3 in the same folder as Terraria to prevent an error.
[Update 11/13 10:56a] Added donation link for survivors of Typhoon Haiyan, cleaned up the page.
[Update 11/29 4:15p] v0.97 released. Additional code for people who are having problems patching.
[Update 12/19 10:27p] This works with no modification on the new v1.2.2 release. If you had previously patched v1.2.1, just rerun the patcher and it will update Terraria.Rewritten.exe for you.
[Update 2/19/2014 10:12p] This works with no modification on the new
v126.96.36.199 release. If you had previously patched v1.2.1, just rerun the
patcher and it will update Terraria.Rewritten.exe for you.
[Update 1/18/2015 11:45a] This version now works with the GOG.com version and puts no files in the Terraria folder.
[Update 1/19/2015 9:10p] This version is starting to add in single player hooks.
[Update 2/3/2015] Cleaning up some ancient comments so relevant topics bubble up.