(9/11/2016 11:36am) Download RomTerraria 4 v1.2 here. Updated for 1.3.3, and the instructions below have changed.
The v1.2 release fixes the "Retro" lighting issue introduced with v1.1.
(6/28/2016 10:12am) Forgot to update this post with a link to the code on GitHub.
This release allows you to do the following:
- Increase the maximum resolution of the Terraria client beyond 1920x1200.
- Enable cooperative fullscreen mode.
- Swap the left and right mouse buttons for our left-handed friends out there. (new for v0.9)
- If RomTerraria can't find your Steam folder, will now pop up a folder browser to let you tell it where your Steam or GOG version of Terraria is. (new for v0.8)
- Allow you to have the effects of the Gravity Globe without having the item equipped in an accessory slot. Thanks to GamingWithRyan for the idea. (new for v0.8)
- Disable achievements (if you want). (new for v0.2)
|Terraria 188.8.131.52 at 2560x1440|
- Unzip to somewhere other than where Terraria is installed.
- Right-click on Terraria in Steam, go to Properties, go to Local Files, and then Verify Integrity of Game Cache. Every crash I've looked at so far has been caused either by the game itself or a bad file somewhere. This also resets your Terraria installation to the latest version of the game.
- Run Terraria once. If you don't do this, you can run into situations where RomTerraria can't find or patch your version of Terraria.
- Run RomTerraria 4.0 (filename is RTRewriter.exe).
- Only select "Enable Cooperative Fullscreen" if you are running a multimonitor solution or know what this is.
- Click "Open Terraria Save Game Folder."
- Click "Update Terraria." A Terraria.exe file and an RTHooks.dll file will appear in your save game folder.
- Open your Terraria folder on Steam.
- Rename Terraria.exe to Terraria.Original.exe.
- Copy Terraria.exe, Terraria.exe.config, and RTHooks.dll from your Terraria save game folder to your Terraria folder.
- Launch the game from Steam. The game may crash once. If it does, run one more time.
- Starting with v1.3.3, Terraria won't let me default to the maximum resolution of your default monitor, so you will have to go into Settings > Video > Resolution to change your resolution.
Please note that if the game is updated, you'll have to repeat the above steps.
One note: the best thing that could ever happen to this mod would be for its main reason for existing (resolutions greater than 1920x1200) to cease to exist. If Re-Logic would like the code to enable high resolutions, just let me know. It's yours for free, and would take very little time to implement.
If you like it, and want to tip in Dogecoin, here's someplace you can send them:
I'm not able to go above 1920x1200.
I'm looking into each of these reports. If you can't go higher than 1920x1200, enable cooperative fullscreen. When cooperative fullscreen is enabled, I set the screen size to the size of the default display adapter (monitor 1), set full screen to false, and set the window style to "none," meaning it hides the border and widgets.
The game is crashing with RomTerraria installed. (Note that this usually happens at resolutions higher than 4096 in any one direction.)
Try running v0.7. You should now get a stack trace. Post that stack trace in the comments. If you can't post it to the comments, you can email it to romterraria -at- romsteady.net. If you don't get a stack trace, it's okay. I'm working on setting up a 3-monitor setup at home so I can troubleshoot it.
After installing RomTerraria, I can't open the map.
Go into Settings > General, and make sure "Map Enabled" is set. It's been randomly disabling for some users.
After installing RomTerraria, I seem to be capped at 60fps.
If you are in cooperative full-screen mode, you'll be capped to your desktop refresh rate.
If you are in regular full-screen mode, I'm investigating that.
I can't get the game to run after this, I'm running Windows Vista/7/8/8.1, and my copy of Terraria is installed under C:\Program Files.
Please install the game to a different Steam install location (like C:\Steam) or run Windows Explorer as an administrator. Windows Vista and above created a great security mechanism called VirtualStore which can make it look like you are mucking around inside C:\Program Files, but are actually working against a folder in your User folder. The way Steam works, it won't like having the replacement Terraria.exe or RTHooks.dll in the VirtualStore folder.
How does this find my copy of Terraria?
I use .NET's Process.GetProcesses() function to get a list of all processes on your machine that have "steam" in the name.
If I find one named "steam.exe," I look for Terraria in [that file's folder]/SteamApps/Common/Terraria.
If I don't find it there, I assume that it's in a different Steam install folder, so I open your config/config.vdf file and look for the path in InstallConfigStore/Software/Valve/Steam/apps/105600/installdir.
If I don't find it there, or if I don't find Steam.exe, I look for the GOG version by checking the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\re-logic\terraria\install_path.
If it still can't find it after that, it pops up a browse dialog.
Old versions of RomTerraria patched out the need for Steam. Will you do that in RT4?
No. It works fine under Steam now due to how they handled Steamworks this time.
There are one or two new files in my save game folder: RomTerrariaDebug.txt and/or CrashInInitTargets.txt. What gives?
RomTerrariaDebug.txt is a general purpose place where I can log out debug text. Right now, I'm putting texture load debug info there if you've hooked the texture loader.
CrashInInitTargets.txt gives me all the info I need to troubleshoot hardware acceleration issues.
How do I uninstall this mod?
Right-click on Terraria in Steam, go to Properties, go to Local Files, and then Verify Integrity of Game Cache. This will "unpatch" Terraria.
When I use this on the GOG version, I'm told to run this through Steam. What gives?
This isn't happening for everyone, but I'm investigating the cause.
When can I expect a response to my questions?
I'll respond as quickly as I can, but the most likely time periods are between 7-8am Pacific and 7-10pm Pacific daily.
I'm technically advanced and think I can help out.
Code's on GitHub. Have fun.
Older Version Archive:
v0.8 Download (works for 184.108.40.206)
v0.7 Download (works for 220.127.116.11, 18.104.22.168, 22.214.171.124, 126.96.36.199)
v0.6 Download (works for 188.8.131.52, 184.108.40.206)
v0.5 Download (works for 220.127.116.11)
v0.4 Download (works for 18.104.22.168)
v0.3 Download (works for 22.214.171.124)
v0.2 Download (works for 126.96.36.199)
v0.1 Download (works for 188.8.131.52)