January 16, 2007

Four Hours To Money

I went into the office yesterday expecting to quit, expecting to talk to Workforce Services today, expecting to talk to a lawyer today, etc. Fortunately, that isn't going to have to happen any time soon.

I went in and talked to the department supervisor and told him what was going on. He asked me for some information and then told me that they were going to cut the contract house out of the picture, stop payment on what they sent to the contract house, and pay me directly.

I received a payment for all hours worked up through last Friday a little after noon in the form of a check. Because of the restrictions placed on my bank account because the account is overdrawn by $1,600, I have to go to the bank the account is drawn on, cash it, then take the cash to my bank to deposit it.

After that, I'll be in the black again and then some which is nice. Even with only 16 billable days worked, my check was still over $1,000 more than I would have made at Ritual during the same four-week period.

I still need to get the contract house to reimburse me for my overdraft charges and returned item charges. We also deduced exactly what the hell was going on with the contract house during the last month, but that is a story for this weekend. I want to try to finish the USK post and get it up tomorrow before I leave for Redmond.


Tom said...

At some point in the future, could you let us know which contracting house it was? For the benefit of us in the DFW area to know who to avoid.

Michael Russell said...

I will the moment I longer have anything to do with them, which will probably be February 1.

Alto2 said...

A bit of free legal advice here. If the dollar amount of what the contract house owes you is below the jurisdictional limit* for your area, you can file a complaint against them in small-claims court. It's usually an expedited procedure you pursue on your own. If you give your local newspaper a heads up, you might even generate a little negative press for them as well.

*"Jurisdictional limit" means the maximum reward sought by the lawsuit. In certain areas, for example, complaints for less than $10,000 must be filed in county court. I suspect you could file your claim in your county court as well. Check with your local lawyer to be sure.

Thorsten said...

Great blog!
Greetings from Hamburg/Germany


wd said...

You also might want to write up your story and send it to www.consumerist.com/ -- he LOVES to publish things like this horror story. I'm glad it's beginning to get resolved --

>HUGE bear hug< ...b