June 28, 2007

The Hermitage

The biggest downside of crunch time is that if you want to stay focused so you can minimize your crunch, you have to isolate yourself in large part from the rest of the world.

I'm usually on MSN Messenger, but for the past while it's been shut off so that it won't distract me. Outlook pop-ups? Disabled. BlackBerry is on silent but checked every once in a great while. I check my external E-mail during lunch and that's about it.

For someone who is used to interacting with others, the self-imposed walls can be stifling.

On the upside, the end of the hermitage is in sight. I should be able to do an "end-to-end" system integration test tonight, then a dash to migrate older code to use the new system.

My granddaughter will be down here in two weeks, and I want to make sure that she's able to see her grandfather during the three weeks that she's here. Schedules can be extended, but a childhood cannot.

No comments: