April 4, 2007

The Sounds of Silence

I just got back from the doctor's office. What a wonderful experience, spending thirty minutes filling out paperwork just to find out it was the wrong paperwork, waiting in a non-air-conditioned office for over two hours, and then getting lectured for nearly an hour on not getting to the doctor's sooner.

Long story short: Over the last six weeks, my hearing has been on the decline. Earlier today, I could hear next to nothing out of my right ear, and I had about 50% hearing loss out of my left. It isn't degenerative hearing loss, and I'm good enough at reading lips that I've been able to cover for it, but it's still disturbing. I should have full hearing back within the next two weeks.

That said, I did like one side effect of my hearing going away...it forced me to pay closer attention to my surroundings and the people therein. Hopefully, I'll be able to keep that side effect going forward.

3 comments:

Samantha Kalman said...

Losing hearing loss is a total drag. I was lucky enough to just lose one ear for a weekend. I can't imagine being down an ear and a half for more than a month. I'm glad you'll be able to get it all back soon! I never really realized how much I took my hearing for granted.

Unknown said...

Mike,

Sad to hear that your loosing your hearing. I hope things get better for you.

Francesco Poli said...

Damn. Get well soon!