October 18, 2004

Sick Development

There is nothing quite as horrific has developing when you are sick.

Development, by its very nature, is an act of creation. Your ability to focus on the task at hand directly corrolates to the quality of the end product. Most people get the same result when they code sick as they do when they code drunk, hungry or stoned.

Normally, I make a conscious effort to avoid developing when I'm sick. My focus gets completely out of whack, and I can't really concentrate on anything for a lengthy period of time. However, that can be a good period of time to do testing, provided you have a good means of recording what you were doing. When I was testing, I'd always be tape recording my test sessions, so when I'd find a bug that was the result of my being zoned out, I'd just rewind the tape and see what I was doing.

Unfortunately, I've got a hard development deadline of Tuesday at 5:00pm for my current project to be completely finished, and on top of having my development time slashed due to having to assist in rebuilding the servers, my wife gave me some weird illness that she picked up on Saturday when she went to my granddaughter's kenpo tournament at Salt Lake Community College.

So, to make a long story short (too late), meh.

No comments: