November 9, 2004

"Halo 2" Mini-Review (Spoiler Free)

Dear Bungie,

I believed in you. I waited until midnight, picked up my copy, went home and got a good night's sleep. I took the day off from work so that I could play your magnum opus.

I popped in the game at 11:00am. I enjoyed the depth of the storyline. I enjoyed the fact that my AI cohorts were good shots. I enjoyed seeing things through Covenant eyes. I even managed to handle the fact that I didn't land the killing shot on the end boss.

And then I got to the ending. I haven't felt so betrayed since the ending of "XIII." Not only did I not have the rush that I had from the last six minutes of the original "Halo," I didn't even have any real closure in my ending. Even waiting through your credit crawl for the after-credit bit didn't help any.

So now I have to wait for several more years before I can see the true ending for the "Halo" saga. While I appreciate that you needed to ship the title and that you wanted to make "Halo" a trilogy, you really lost me with your choice of a stopping spot.

At this point, my only hope of closure in the near future is if you release your third installment as an expansion pack.

No comments: