September 28, 2004

Fable: Great with one exception...

I borrowed Fable on Saturday, and beat it last night after exactly 10 hours of gameplay. I enjoyed it, and will buy it when it becomes a Platinum Hit, but they made one design decision that pissed me off to no end.

<----- WARNING: SPOILERS FOR FABLE AHEAD ----->

When I beat the end boss, my character was pegged good. At the end of the game, you are given a choice between killing your sister with a magical sword, or casting the sword into a swirling vortex and making it go away forever.

I chose to throw it away, I got the good good ending, and skipped the end credits.

Turns out that if you skip the end credits, you can't keep playing the game. That pissed me off.

So, I reloaded the last autosave, beat the end boss in 4 minutes, killed my sister, got the bad good ending, and then waited for fifteen minutes for the end credits to end. I don't know how much extra crap they could have put in the end credits. Who cares that you had Chinese takeout 2,828 times during the making of your game?

Anyway, I was so pissed after the credits that I went on a rampage. First, I went to Lady Grey's bedroom and beat the living shit out of her until she divorced me. Then, I went to every town in the game, slaughtered every single inhabitant, bought their homes, and put them up for rent.

After doing that, I was only half-evil.

<----- FABLE SPOILERS OVER ----->

In short, we should be able to skip cutscenes, credits, etc., without penalty. Forcing us to submit to your vanity scroll in order to advance in the game is just bad manners, and you should all feel very bad about it.

No comments: