August 10, 2004

Windows XP Service Pack 2

Well, I installed Windows XP Service Pack 2 late Friday, and so far it’s been working quite nicely.  However, I do have a few issues.

 

First off, my computer acts as an ICS Gateway for all of the computers in my house.  Not such a bad thing, but SP2 keeps forgetting my ICS settings, so I have to reset them after every reboot.

 

Second, not all programs seem to query the firewall.  At work, I wrote an automatic update program for our primary line-of-business application.  It uses the .NET Framework, is digitally signed, and downloads the updated files from our company’s web site.  It isn’t in the exceptions list, but it doesn’t trigger the Firewall dialog.

 

Finally, I’ve had some odd DNS issues, but that could be MSN rather than Service Pack 2.

 

I’ll keep everyone posted as to what is going on.

No comments: