May 19, 2005

"The Elements"

I'm wrapping up some work tasks right now so I can leave to meet my wife to see "Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith" in a couple of hours, but I found this and thought I'd share it.

"The Elements" is a song written and performed by Tom Lehrer during the mid-fifties, and is essentially a musical recitation of the periodic table as known at the time. This Flash animation set to the song is cute and subdued...the exact opposite of Tom Lehrer.

A boxset was released called "The Remains of Tom Lehrer," and it sits right on my entertainment center at home so that anyone who cares to look can know exactly how warped I am. Other great songs by Tom Lehrer include "The Hunting Song," ("I went and shot the maximum the game laws would allow...two game wardens, seven hunters and a cow.") "Poisoning Pigeons in the Park," ("We'll slaughter them all among laughter and merriment...except for the few we take home to experiment...") and my absolute favorite, "I Hold Your Hand In Mine." Full lyrics below.

I Hold Your Hand In Mine

I hold your hand in mine, dear;
I press it to my lips.
I take a healthy bite
From your dainty fingertips.

My joy would be complete, dear,
If you were only here;
But still I keep your hand
As a precious souvenier.

The night you died, I cut it off;
I really don't know why;
For now each time I kiss it,
I get bloodstains on my tie.

I'm sorry now I killed you,
For our love was so divine!
Until they come to get me,
I shall hold your hand in mine.


There are three scary things here. One, I remember that song word for word without having to listen to it. Second, I actually sing that song to my wife from time to time. Third, she's still with me. Go figure.

No comments: