I spent about three hours today doing a functional decomposition and schedule pass for a new project I have going on that is due on March 11, 2009.
I didn't have enough information left to properly estimate work on about 10% of the tasks, but I have good figures for the rest. I put in work estimates in for the other 90% in a column in Excel next to each work item and let it sum up at the bottom.
It worked out to just enough work to be done on March 11, 2009.
There is still 10% of the work unscheduled.
That doesn't include testing time, stabilization, integration, dependencies on third parties, user testing and approval, documentation or training...just the development work necessary.
I have a feeling I'm going to be working a lot of overtime...a bit more considering that I'm also going to be moving next month.