November 7, 2007

SafeDisc Vulnerability

I'm on record as saying that if I have to deal with media-based copy protection, I want it to be SafeDisc. The 2.x series of SafeDisc was not only the least intrusive series of CD-based copy protection software ever released, but there hasn't been a CD or DVD drive released in the last seven years that has been incompatible with it. It's even had support for it built into Windows XP and beyond.

Unfortunately, it is now being used as an attack vector against Windows XP and Windows Server 2003.

If you are running Windows XP or Windows Server 2003, download and install this update immediately. This will patch away the attack vector, but I am disappointed that this vulnerability managed to slip through.

1 comment:

Sarkie said...

I always felt SafeDisc managed to stop easy copiers, like people copying discs for mates. Anything harder they gave up.