November 20, 2006

Escape of the Bird

About fifteen minutes ago, I received a phone call from my wife. She was in hysterics. I couldn't understand a thing that she was saying. It took me five minutes to calm her down to the point where I could understand what she was saying. Her bird, Chris, escaped. He pried open the door to his cage and flew away.

Yvonne has a small cage that she puts her birds in so she can put them out on the balcony and they can enjoy the weather and interact with other birds. Last year, Elmo escaped and she was devastated. Last Christmas, I gave her the money to go get herself another bird, and she got Chris.

These two events have been really hard on Yvonne because she hasn't really been able to make any friends down here in Dallas. Elmo was the last physical link she had with Utah, and now with her out of work because of her fibromyalgia and really just being stuck in the house, she's going to be alone again.

I guess it's good that I'm going to be home for a 4-day weekend this weekend...I can help her cope with this loss.

No comments: